Wednesday, December 10, 2014

His Presence in the Detours, the Pains of Life, and the Sweet Moments


I realized Thanksgiving weekend was the third anniversary of my first blog.  And to no surprise and gratefully I might add, Jay has become our resident blogger.  However, I have a couple building up inside me.  Today, I will share one. 

 

Jamil and I were blessed to spend the day together.  It was a day filled with unanticipated painful immunizations. 

 
 
As we left the ranch this morning, we were expecting the TB test to be checked and a physical exam for our immigration status to move forward to the next stage.  However, the nurse let us know she could not do the exam until he had his Hep A, Hep B, Meningococcal, and flu vaccinations.  So, we were given directions to the Cleveland County Health Department.  The nurse told us to come back at 1:30pm and she would work us back in for the exam.  (Dilemma:  North Pole City had been gracious enough to make an appointment at 1:30 today for Jamil to see and meet Santa.  They do this for special situations.)  I told the nurse, but I would change the Santa pictures.  She was so sweet.  She recommended that we go ahead and go to North Pole City and then to come back to the clinic when we were finished.  So, off to the health department we went.  The staff was friendly and we were called back within 15 minutes.  One problem: They were out of the menningococcal vaccine.  So as Jamil was getting his 3 somewhat painful injections, I was on the phone to our pediatrician’s office in Edmond.  Of course, it was his half day and I’m calling at 11:45am.  The sweet triage nurse said she would check with the doctor on call and get back with me at 1pm.  (Did I mention the Santa pictures?)  The nurse at the Health Department said that sometimes a pharmacy will have this vaccine, but I should call to check first.  Yeah, for the Walgreens in Norman on Main! 
 
They had it!  Only downfall, they don’t accept our insurance so I got to pay a pretty penny for this fourth painful shot!!  I called off our pediatrician’s office and off to Wendy’s we went for a hamburger and Frosty! (The smallest Frosty I’ve ever seen.  However, they did give Jamil two!)  He enjoyed both. 

 

We were now on our way to North Pole City to see Santa.  I had called Meredith Crowder to see if we might stop by Newcastle on the way back to the ranch to meet the girls.  I told her we were going to North Pole City at 1:30.  She said they had talked about going there today too.  With all of our unforeseen detours, I hadn’t talked to her again. 

 

The very kind lady who had set our appointment was at Santa’s Spot and said we’d be next.  This sweet Santa takes time with each child or children.  He gets to know them before a single picture is snapped.
 
I was impressed.  As our children have gotten older, we have explained to them about the true Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, when the time came as they matured.  We decided to explain this to Jamil since he is thirteen.  We’ve told him about how in the United States Christmas can be more about Santa (who is known to live at the North Pole and fly around the world in a sleigh with reindeer), than the birth of Jesus.  First, Santa, realizing Jamil was 13 was giving him some wisdom about working hard and saving money for a car because 16 isn’t too far away.  He asked Jamil what he would like for him to bring him for Christmas.  This sweet Santa, after learning Jamil was from Uganda(where a good Christmas was enough families having the finances to pool together to have meat at their Christmas meal) and this was his first Christmas season in the United States, eloquently explained the story of St. Nicholas.  
 
Santa noted that St. Nicholas was a young boy whose parents died from a plague and was adopted by some religious men, monks, in Turkey.  He also pointed out that Turkey is a country not too far from Uganda.  He then explained how the monks owned an inn with stables and worked hard.  Nicholas took over the business and found himself with more wealth than he needed.  He saw others in his village in need.  So, he began giving gifts at Christmas anonymously.  He did not want any credit for this good deed from man.  Santa went on to explain that sometimes, because here in the US there is so much “to do” about Christmas, often its true meaning is lost for many.  Christmas is truly about the birth of Jesus.  Also, the first gifts were special gifts given to Jesus by the wisemen.  Santa asked me about Jamil’s medical condition.  After I gave him a quick version, he asked Jamil if it would be alright with him if we prayed together and he place his hand on Jamil’s head.  Jamil said, “Yes.”  As the prayer ended, I heard Meredith call my name.  So, we got to meet the girls, and get a few more pictures with Santa.  Jamil was able to speak to the Crowder girls in Luganda. 

 

We headed back to the clinic in Norman and finished the exam.  The results of this exam are the next step in our legal process with Jamil.  We can now officially apply for his permanent residency.
 
On the way home, Jamil asked me if I had Santa’s number.  I think he realized he forgot to tell him what he wanted for Christmas.  I told him we could send him a letter.  A little later down the road ,Jamil and I talked about how we are not promised a life without detours and pain.  But, there are some really precious moments in the midst of it as well.  The most important is the Presence of the Lord through it all.  A Glimpse of Things Unseen, is a book worth your time to read, by Mark Buchanan.  I’m not finished with it yet, but the Lord has used it as I have been struggling as I see a young boy switching cultures.  Switching from a culture of contentment, respectfulness, colorblindness, yet intense poverty in Uganda to one of discontentment, materialism, and racial tensions here. This biblical book reminded me God has put in us the reason we are never truly satisfied because this is not our home.  I pray, Lord let me choose to let Your light shine through me as I pass through this temporary place of bitter-sweetness, to my true home. For each of us, there is an opportunity, which was given to us to choose over 2000 years ago, beginning in a manger in Bethlehem.
 
 
Jill
 
Proverbs 3:5-6  "Trust in the Lord, with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  But in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment