Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I keep forgetting!

While talking with a friend a few days ago, something that they said brought to mind a great topic for a blog post.  Before our conversation ended, I had already written the blog entry in my mind.  Come to think of it, I probably should have been paying more attention to our conversation and less attention to my mental blogging.  Anyway, this was going to be an overwhelmingly informative, charmingly witty and so clear as to be in HD kind of blog.  But then, I completely forgot the topic and I cannot remember any part of the blog.  I have tried for the past three days to remember.  I have even asked my friend and Jill if they could remember what was said that I wanted to blog about, but they can’t recall either……..

I turned 41 last week and I have noticed that I can’t dig into the data files of my brain as easily as I did in the past.  To quote the great American philosopher Michael McDonald circa 1982 “I keep forgettin’ things will never be the same again”.  I have been meaning to worry about how much aspartame that I consume (because of some anecdotal evidence that aspartame can cause memory loss), but I keep forgettin’!

This memory “issue” does remind me of something in our walk with Christ.  In Hebrews 10:16-17 the Holy Spirit says “This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord.  I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” 17 Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.”  Wow!  Because of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, and my acceptance of His grace, God remembers my past sins like I remember the phantom blog post!  Even the whopper sins that seem earth shattering and that satan seems to bring up to us when we are feeling weak.

I am sure that as the days move on, I will forget more and more important tidbits of information.  I don’t really think that this “forgetting” will make me more like God, but it will make me want to remember verses like Psalm 139:23-24 23 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  I will need Him more and more to remind me of the sins that I need to confess to claim His “Forgetfulness”.

Here are a few things, related to our upcoming trip to Uganda, that I don’t think that I will ever forget.
1.)    The way people worship in Uganda.  Because of a language barrier in some instances, I can’t always understand what they are saying, but I am sure that they are convinced it is right!!
2.)    The smile of a 10 year old girl in Kiranga, Uganda.  We will call her Sabrina.  I still wake up sometimes thinking about her smile that seems to live on the retina of my mind’s eye.  I will write a blog in the next few days about her and a plan to find her and give her a gift of medical care.

3.)    The faces of three little girls in an orphanage in rural Uganda, as I gave them baby dolls that Jayne, my mother, and my Granny made.  They got to hear about Jesus and have something that was officially their own.



4.)     The hand of a young girl that we will call Joy in mine in Jinja, Uganda.  This picture captures much of my heart for Uganda.


When and if the Earth Shattering  blog topic returns to the surface, I will be sure and NOT point it out to you.  Because after I built it up so much, I am sure that I can’t deliver what you would be expecting. 

Less than 3 weeks until we leave for Uganda.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment