Thursday, February 9, 2012

Get out of my Boat!

I am guessing that most of you did not realize that I was a boat captain.  It is true.  My ship is a beauty.  She is called the USS Complacency.  She is one of the most “easy going” vessels out on the ocean of life.  She boasts the compass of comfort, the ballast of familiarity, the stern of distraction, the mast of inactivity, and the bow of weak will.  I would really like to find a different ship to lead, such as the USS Bold or the USS Sold Out.

While I am driving around the USS Complacency, it reminds me of the great American philosopher Mr. McGee.  He was the boss of Prince in the song Raspberry Beret.  He said, “I was busy doing something close to nothing, but different than the day before”. 

John 21:15  15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" He *said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He *said to him, "Tend My lambs."16 He *said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" He *said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He *said to him, "Shepherd My sheep."17 He *said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus *said to him, "Tend My sheep.
I would really like to be more like Peter.   Not the Peter that denied Christ 3 times, as foreshadowed in the above verse.  Not so much the Peter that lost his temper and cut off the Roman guard’s ear in the garden.  This Peter went on to be the Rock that the church would be built on.  Christ can use even those that have fear and anger problems.  The thing that I would like to mirror is his courage.  The courage he took in Matthew 14:29 when Jesus said “Come”, and Peter GOT OUT OF THE BOAT, and walked on water.  I want to GET OUT OF THE BOAT!  Sometimes the water around the USS Complacency can get rough and seem scary.  But if I keep my eyes on Christ, and don’t concentrate on the waves, I think that I can GET OUT.

Join me, we will Get Out of the Boat together.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment