Friday, August 29, 2014

Going from a valley to a canyon.


In my last blog, I discussed how we often have to pass through a “valley” before we reach the “mountain top” of our calling.  In that blog, I had mentioned that I felt we had passed through a valley in our journey of our calling with Jamil.  I thought that perhaps we had reached a foothill, but not the mountain top.


 

I have to let you know that after we crested that foothill, we have hit a canyon.  This week has been very difficult for us.  We had an appointment with his eye surgeon on Tuesday.  This went well.  During that visit, we discussed a game-plan to get Jamil’s surgery done and how that might look.  The doctor sent us for a CT scan, just to make sure that the tumor was still contained in the eye socket and not spread to the brain.  Jamil had a CT scan in June, while we were still in Uganda, and it had specifically said that there was no brain involvement.

 

When Jamil’s doctor called me on Wednesday, the news he gave me took my breath away.  Not only had the tumor spread, it had moved to the cavernous sinus.  This is a large blood vessel on the bottom side of the brain.  Surgery in this area of the brain has a high risk of stroke and cranial nerve injuries.  Cranial nerves are the nerves that come out of the brain and perform functions like sight, moving your eyes, moving your face, chewing etc.

 

So now we know that Jamil has an eye tumor and a brain tumor.  What we don’t know at this point is if there is a surgical option.  We will be getting a consultation with a neurosurgeon at Children’s hospital in the coming days.  She will let us know if we have any chance of removing the tumor surgically or if it is inoperable.

 

At this point, we have not discussed this new information with Jamil.  We are wanting to know if there is a surgical option, so that we can try to explain it to him in a way that will make sense.  Before now, we have shared this news sparingly, as we tried to find out more information and options.  We feel that it is time to share this news more broadly so that more people can begin to pray in earnest for his healing.  If he has a brain surgery, we are not sure about the 6 month time frame that we are dealing with.

 

We have been discouraged with this new diagnosis, but we know that God will provide the best plan.  Please join us in praying that the meningioma can be removed surgically but a highly skilled neurosurgeon.  Please join us in praying for Jamil’s complete healing.  Please pray for our wisdom as we will be required to make some important decisions in the near future.

 

This calling has definitely just become more "costly".  I will continue to update this blog as we know more.

 

#HealJamil

Jay

 

4 comments:

  1. Lots of prayers for everyone!
    Matthew 19:26
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you how much my heart goes out to you all. I remember Jill telling me that while you all were in Uganda that Jamil made a comment along these lines after being saved, "I will be OK either way.". My Dad made a similar comment while he was sick. If it is God's will to guide the surgeon or outright heal Jamil, then I know it will be done. There is a scripture & I won't lie & say that I can take you right to it but I can tell you it. " When you have done all you can do to stand, Stand therefore ". I will stand with you all on his promises. Love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaiah 41:10- He will be WITH you!- & Nothing is Impossible for HIM! --- #healjamil

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for full healing and that all good things will come Jamils way. I can tell just from the few moments i have spent with him that he is an amazing young man

    ReplyDelete