Sunday, February 26, 2012

Latest update from a busy week.

We are on our way home from Mubende currently.  I have given you updates on our two incredible days in Kachangwa on Wednesday and Thursday.  We spent Friday in Mubende at Jabez Nursery and Primary school.  We did health screenings on 330 of the cutest kids you would ever hope to see. 

 Jake, Jared and Jessica have gotten very familiar with the pharmacy. 

They really enjoy the lab, but there was not much lab to do on this trip.  So they have spent the time gaining more skills that will serve us well the next few months.  Friday night at the hotel, a thunderstorm came in about 30 minutes after we got back.  It chased us into our little rooms, and of course, knocked out the power!  The power was still off when we packed and left via flashlight this morning.

Today, Saturday, we spent in the village of Muleete.  This was a free clinic open to the village.  We saw about 300 of the friendly village people today.  This brings our 4 day total to over 1,250 treated by the Due Unto/Africa Renewal Ministries team.  We had to restock on some medicines each day and our supply is overall pretty low now.

This week is the kind of medical work that I felt God calling me to in Uganda.  The rural people of Uganda are so gracious and appreciative of what we do and they have a significant need for health care access.  I think that we will try to stick to more 3 day trips in the future as the 4th day of seeing so many patients has left us pretty worn out.

Early next week, Jill and I will be meeting with the leadership of ARM to map out our schedule for the next few months.  We will do some more full on clinics like this week, but we will need to spread them out some because they use a lot of resources quickly!

I debated about if I should share this or not, but I think that it is too funny not too share.  It is somewhat gross, so I apologize in advance.  Friday night, we took our Doxycycline capsules like we always do after dinner.  We take this for malaria prevention.  It can upset your stomach, so we take it after our evening meal.  It can cause some skin rashes when you are exposed to the sun, so we take it late in the day, so the peak is at night while we are asleep and out of the sun.  Anyway, as I took my capsule, it felt like it stuck in my throat.  So I kept drinking water trying to get it to go down.  Well, eventually, I burped and this doxycycline “dust” came up my throat and into my mouth.  I think some spewed from my mouth like a Sevin Dust sprayer.  My eyes watered and I coughed and sputtered to the point that Jake almost gave me the Heimlich!  I finally recovered but woke in the middle of the night with my uvula (hangy down thing in the back of your throat) on fire!  I thought that I was getting strep throat, but it was gone by morning!  I think that I will stick to the tablet doxy from now on!

We are off on Monday, so I will try to update more then.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment